The Bennett surname derives from the medieval given name Benedict, originating from the Latin benedictus, meaning "blessed." The name became popular due to St. Benedict in the Middle Ages. Bennett is the 78th most popular surname in the United States and its surname origin is English. The meaning of the surname can change depending on ancestry and country of origin. Discover the following alternate spellings and genealogy resources for the surname Bennet.
Alternate Surname Spellings
- 100 Most Common U.S. Surnames & Their Meanings: Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones, Brown… Are you one of the millions of Americans sporting one of these top 100 common last names from the 2000 census?
- Bennett DNA Surname Project: Join over 270 members of the Bennett DNA surname project working to bring together genealogists who are researching the Bennett surname (primarily in America), with an emphasis on the use of DNA testing.
- Bennett Family Crest - It's Not What You Think: Contrary to what you may hear, there is no such thing as a Bennett family crest or coat of arms for the Bennett surname. Coats of arms are granted to individuals, not families, and may rightfully be used only by the uninterrupted male-line descendants of the person to whom the coat of arms was originally granted.
- Bennett Family Genealogy Forum: Search this popular genealogy forum for the Bennett surname to find others who might be researching your ancestors, or post your own Bennett query.
- FamilySearch - Bennett Genealogy: Access over 6.7 million free historical records and lineage-linked family trees posted for the Bennett surname and its variations on this free genealogy website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Bennett Surname & Family Mailing Lists: RootsWeb hosts several free mailing lists for researchers of the Bennett surname. In addition to joining a list, you can also browse or search the archives to explore over a decade of postings for the Bennett surname.
- DistantCousin.com - Bennett Genealogy & Family History: Explore free databases and genealogy links for the last name Bennett.
- GeneaNet - Bennett Records: GeneaNet includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Bennett surname, with a concentration on records and families from France and other European countries.
- The Bennett Genealogy and Family Tree Page: Browse genealogy records and links to genealogical and historical records for individuals with the Bennett surname from the website of Genealogy Today.
- Cottle, Basil. "Penguin Dictionary of Surnames." Baltimore: Penguin Books, 1967.
- Menk, Lars. "A Dictionary of German Jewish Surnames." Bergenfield, NJ: Avotaynu, 2005.
- Beider, Alexander. "A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from Galicia." Bergenfield, NJ: Avotaynu, 2004.
- Hanks, Patrick and Flavia Hodges. "A Dictionary of Surnames." New York: Oxford University Press, 1989.
- Hanks, Patrick. "Dictionary of American Family Names." New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Hoffman, William F. "Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings." Chicago: Polish Genealogical Society, 1993.
- Rymut, Kazimierz. "Nazwiska Polakow." Wroclaw: Zaklad Narodowy im. Ossolinskich - Wydawnictwo, 1991.
- Smith, Elsdon C. "American Surnames." Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.